Lots of people in the UNBC Education program have known that they wanted to be a teacher for years or they have family that are teachers. This was not the case for me.

In my third year of university, I had no idea what I wanted to do once I finished my degree. It had been the middle of the COVID Pandemic and I had been pretty unhappy with my degree. I was in the middle of my Political Science degree, and I just didn’t see myself doing anything with it. After a lot of soul searching, I came to the idea of teaching.

I knew that I loved being in the classroom and it was somewhere that I was very comfortable (as a student, not as a teacher). I also had many teachers in my life that had been very passionate and enjoy what they do and I was really inspired by them to go into teaching.

When I was in elementary and high school, I had many young (or younger) teachers. One teacher that I remember had been Mrs Gunning. I had her for BC First Nations 12 when I was in Grade 11. She had been INCREDIBLY passionate about what she taught and absolutely loved teaching. She had done lots of talking and sharing in the classroom and always had something different planned from what we had done the day before. She’s the teacher that stands out the most to me out of all the teachers that I had.

No one in my family are teachers nor are they anything close to it. My mom is a warehouse manager and my stepdad is a district manager. Neither of them have a degree of any sorts and I am the first person on my mom’s side to have a degree (minus my uncle that married into the family).

Getting into UNBC had been a BIT of a process for me. I had to fill some requirements that had not been required for my degree (such as a math and a lab science) and getting into housing had been an entire different problem. Many of the schools that I would be able to get into without having to take 6 years for my undergrad are not close to home.

I did end up coming up to UNBC because it had been the first school to offer housing and an offer of admissions.

I have so far enjoyed my time up here and look forward to what’s to come.